Methia Keri-Pickles & Chutneys
Author: Indian Food Recipe
Recipe type: Pickles & Chutneys
A quick guide explaining how to prepare Methia Keri
- Raw firm mangoes, chopped in chunks - 1 kg
- Red chana (red gram) – 100 gms
- Crushed mustard seeds – 200 gms
- Salt as per taste (approx 150 gms)
- Turmeric powder - 2tbsp
- Red chili (as per taste) – ¼ cup
- Mustard oil - 2 cup
- Fenugreek seeds - 200 gms
- Place mango chunks in a jar.
- Put some salt and ½ of turmeric in it.
- Shake the jar so the pieces are evenly coated. Keep aside.
- Shake jar in a pendulum motion every 7-8
- hours, for 2 days.
- On the second day, soak fenugreek seeds and red gram separately; keep it overnight.
- On third day, drain water from fenugreek seeds and red gram.
- Empty the mangoes into non-iron colander and allow the water to drain for 15-20 minutes, keep the drain water.
- Pat dry the mango chunks, and dry in sun for 4-5 hours on a towel.
- Put fenugreek seeds and red gram in the drained sour water from
- mangoes for 2 hours.
- Drain fenugreek seeds and red gram and dry them completely with the towel.
- Mix all the ingredients except mango chunks.
- Heat oil very well till smoky. Let it cool.
- In half the oil, add the mixed ingredients and then add mango chunks.
- Mix it well, so all chunks are coated with the masala.
- Transfer to a clean jar and press down lightly.
- Pour remaining oil on top, oil should cover the pickle.
- Allow to marinate for 10 days before using.
- Take out in small quantities for use in a small glass jar.
- The main jar should always have a layer of oil floating on top. Add more oil (after heating and then cooling it) if required
Shelf-life: More than a year